Saturday, September 10, 2011

HURRICANES AND TREES

Growing up in south Jersey, I never paid attention to the weather,let alone ever heard of a hurricane. Years later, I found myself living in southern Florida and in 1992 I met Andrew, the hurricane. He taught me what a hurricane was,how to respect the warnings and how to prepare for them.
Now living back in southern Jersey I find myself still watching the weather and being prepared. That's where the trees gee into play. We all love the big shady maple and oak trees but they can be deadly. Even in a weak hurricane the branches from these trees can kill. We need to thin out these trees.
I know it may be expensive at first but it will be well worth it if it saves your life,property and gives you piece of mind. Any branch that is three inches in diameter or smaller should be cut and removed from the main branch. Doing so will allow the wind to pass through the branches and less likely to bring the bigger branches or even the whole tree down on you. I suggest you start with the trees around your home, vehicle and other valued property. Remember too that wonderful tree shading your dog house. We don't need Spot or anyone else to lose it's life due to a branch.
Include this in your spring or fall chores and if a hurricane or any other windy situation arrives, you should have some piece of mind.

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment